Three Views on the New Testament's Use of the Old Testament (ed. K Berding & J. Lunde)
Zondervan, 2008Blurb Review by Dr. Craig Blomberg
Part of the popular Counterpoints series, this book is intended to help Christians understand how the New Testament authors use the Old Testament. That the New Testament authors often cite or allude to the Old Testament in creative and ingenious ways is readily apparent to any believer who has taken the time to carefully study such texts as Matthew 2:15 or 1 Corinthians 10:4. In keeping with the format of the “Three Views” series, a team of three specialists provides answers to five questions that are of foundational importance for appreciating how the New Testament authors draw upon the Old Testament:
1) Does the concept of sensius plenior (“fuller sense”) provide a viable means of accounting for the ways in which the New Testament authors used the Old Testament?
2) How should one understand the concept of typology?
3) Do the authors of the New Testament consider the original context of the Old Testament passages they quote or allude to?
4) Can one explain the manner in which New Testament author’s draw upon the Old Testament by appealing to Jewish exegetical techniques such as midrash or pesher?
5) Should contemporary Christians attempt to mimic the exegesis of the New Testament authors?
An Introduction to Central Questions in the New Testament Use of the Old Testament (J. Lunde)
Single Meaning, Unified Referents: Accurate and Authorative Citations of the Old Testament by the New Testament (W. Kaiser)
Single Meaning, Multiple Contexts and Referents: The New Testament’s Legitimate, Accurate, and Multi-faceted Use of the Old (D. Bock)
Fuller Meaning, Single Goal: A Christotelic Approach to the New Testament Use of the Old in its First-Century Interpretive Environment (P. Enns)
An Analysis of Three Views on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament (K. Berding)
- 1 Corinthians
- 1 John
- 1 Samuel
- 1 Timothy
- 2 John
- 2 Kings
- 2 Samuel
- 3 John
- Biblical Theology
- New Testament
- Old Testament
- Old Testament Theology
- Song of Songs
- Wisdom Literature